Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Carbs Are Brain Fuel



Those who know me well do know my very weak soft point ... AMNESIA

Yes I suffer from memory loss, tried to hide it but huh I'm tired of trying. Anyway since I am doing the best I can to regain that going going gone memory of mine, I came through a very interesting article about how eliminating carbohydrates from ones diet may help them lose weight, but it could leave them fuzzy headed and forgetful.

According to the study "No-Carb Diets May Impair Memory, By Salynn Boyles", the body breaks carbohydrates into glucose, which it uses to fuel brain activity. Proteins break down into glycogen, which can also be used for fuel by the brain, but not as efficiently as glucose.So it stands to reason that eliminating carbohydrates from the diet might reduce the brain’s source of energy and affect brain function. But there has been little research examining this hypothesis in people following low-carb weight loss diets.

Well for that I am announcing here that for the sake of losing no memory of mine, I am back to carbs after 5 hours of quitting ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment