Sunday, December 28, 2008

And its just as Barbara Bush said it : "War is not nice"

We are a generation that didn't witness an actual war, we were born in the 70s right by the time it really started and ended. My knowledge of war came from movies, TV and very few books and articles. I never cared about it and always thought of it as the outcome of foolish greedy politicians playing chess but with human beings. No matter how many stories were told, sadness and grief there was about war, how many lost souls, how many widows and orphans, I never felt anything. I would go watch a movie about world war one or two and enjoy "the movie" not believing it actually happened and maybe reality was way more cruel than what the movie depicted, I end up liking the story and how it was directed and very well acted. The agony and pain that were very well illustrated might cause a certain kind of enjoyment in me and I never managed to know why I never linked it with reality.

I cant recall one single Egyptian movie about war that managed to leave the same feeling within me, actually I was never moved by any of these movies and was never amused to the extent that I turn off the TV every 6th of October to save myself the silliness of passing by and watching a scene or two of the same movies I have seen for over 20 years.

Usually they do tell a story and a significant one, we hate jews and jews hate us, we will fight them cause they want to vanquish us all and they took a land that doesn't belong to them. So we will live hating them, and as we inherited such hatred we will pass it to the next generation just as it was passed to us along with fear.

As I have been sick for 4 days now and couldn't leave bed I stayed watching movies on my laptop and listening to news coming from next room TV. Gaza was "attacked" again by Israel and seem that this was an outcome of Hamas foolish actions. But what made me for few minutes mute the movie I was watching and listen carefully to the news was that the TV reporter kept saying 155 "civilians" were killed and over 250 are badly wounded, and right after that I heard people from Gaza cheering and a woman saying they can kill us all but they wont kill our soul. I had to get off the bed and move to this TV just to see kids wounded and many bodies surrounded by chaos, people running from fire and lots of bodies of women, kids and injured men carried away everywhere. And no matter how I believed that such pictures wont affect me anymore as media served well by constantly and heavily presenting them to add to this feeling of numbness that grown within me over the years as I witnessed alot of them for decades, yet this time I was really furious but this time it was on Palestinians, on the stupid woman cheering kills us all. What kind of patriotism or glory is it in standing waiting for your death, burying your beloved and cheering over it. What is it exactly that you are benefiting from screaming and crying to the world and burying more and more of you people. Since when being a victim of stupidity became equal to being a patriot.

If this was a war maybe one would have glorified it but it is not. Israeli Prime Minister Ehud Olmert's office said he and Israeli Defence Minister Amir Peretz "voiced sorrow over the deaths of Palestinian civilians... and offered emergency humanitarian aid to the Palestinian Authority and medical care for the wounded".

I guess I better get back to being numb and careless for a nation that if it is there for something then its for proving to the world that Darwin was a genius.

I am dizzy I guess I will get back to my movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment